POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Details on layered textures/materials : Re: Details on layered textures/materials Server Time
3 May 2024 09:31:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Details on layered textures/materials
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Apr 2024 02:23:23
Message: <6610ea5b$1@news.povray.org>
Op 05/04/2024 om 17:49 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> Question to BE:
>>
>> Why has there to be at the end of the macro /twice/ an - exactly
>> identical - declaration of M_Granite? if you take out (any) one of them,
>> you get a parse error: "Cannot pass uninitialized identifier to
>> non-optional LValue."
>>
>> Otherwise, works fine indeed.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> I dunno - in the 10 minutes that furiously scribbled out that code this morning,
> I was wondering the same thing.
> All I did was edit the macro I have stored in my TdG directory, so you musat
> have put it there for a reason.

Checked: In the original code there was/is only one instance... ;-)

> This is why I have kept saying that there is some phantom bug that has crept
> into the codebase that no one has recognized or isolated.

I wonder at that too...

> It would be interesting to see if the same thing happens when using 3.7 or even
> 3.6.

I can check with 3.7. I do not have 3.6 installed any more (and not
going to).

> I would like POV-Ray to state exactly WHICH uninitialized identifier it's
> talking about, so we lowly users can find the problem.

Aaah... My wish exactly! So frustrating!

> Maybe add some ifdef() statements in there to debug things and see what gives.

I shall do my best. Will take some time as there are other issues
surfacing with this texture-based macro...

--
Thomas