POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick. : Re: On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick. Server Time
3 May 2024 08:58:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 31 Mar 2024 08:57:39
Message: <66095dc3$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/31/24 07:32, jr wrote:
> was / am thinking documentation.  it would have been handy to read (at the end
> of 'alltext.out') whether there were warnings and or (non-library) errors.

Short on time this morning. First, remember alltext.out (all_file) is
just echoing the five other actual console streams to a single file.

The set up was >5 output streams, down to five today. In those five
there is a warning stream and a fatal / error stream. Those latter two
do capture all the warnings and errors to files if you set up your run
that way. Those two files will be empty if all is well and otherwise
have all the warnings and errors captured by POV-Ray.

We don't count warnings today which is an interesting idea.

>> The yuqk fork has a getenv() function ...
> interesting.  what use case do you have in mind ?  (un)set in-scene "flags" ?

Nothing too specific. One thought was to enable POV-Ray to query the
process environment from which it was called. USER, USERNAME, LANG,
HOME, ...

I think you are suggesting SDL capability to set and unset environment
variables too?  If so, I thought about. It is, though, a capability
which could cause quite a bit of trouble.

>> I don't know how to handle self generated return codes with only one
>> call to the 'povray' executable.
> not sure I understand, the "(a)" above would do though, aiui.

I can look at doing (a). What I do not know at the moment is where
stdout / stderr are go as compared to where +o- image output goes. I
suspect, the optional image output is using stdout so I could use stderr
for the 0, 1 or 2 return codes. If so, zero return code result messages
would end up on stderr which is a little off.

Anyhow, got to run.

Bill P.