POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Details on layered textures/materials : Re: Details on layered textures/materials Server Time
3 May 2024 08:02:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Details on layered textures/materials
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Mar 2024 04:28:05
Message: <66067b95$1@news.povray.org>
Op 28-3-2024 om 18:55 schreef Chris R:
> [snip]
>
> In my particular use case, I was hoping to have an object that is partially
> polished, and partially unpolished, as if the polish had worn away in some
> places, but there is no way to "unpack" the texture from the material, so I will
> have to take the macro code and modify it to return a texture instead of a
> material if I want to do this.

It has been a long time since I last looked at the granite code... Your
analysis is right I guess, your questions are sensible, but I do not
have the necessary insight into  the particular/individual
working/interactions of all the elements in POV-Ray to answer them
properly. As you may perhaps remember, the project initiated from an
individual need at the time, and - as happens often - inflated and
became more complex as work progressed. Your particular wish was not
considered or thought of then, I am afraid.

I guess you will have to do as you suggest above. I don't know what
would be the most sensible approach. Probably to pull the code apart and
re-assemble it as two separate textures, or as one texture macro with a
polished/dull switch. The material envelop can always be added later if
necessary.

If I get a smart idea I shall come back. Time and energy are rather at a
low level though... :-(

--
Thomas