POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : weird effect or normal : Re: weird effect or normal Server Time
3 May 2024 01:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird effect or normal
From: Alain Martel
Date: 17 Mar 2024 12:38:20
Message: <65f71c7c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-03-17 à 01:41, Ilya Razmanov a écrit :
> On 16.03.2024 19:06, David Kraics wrote:
>
>> I don't know what that does or is. Honestly, even after 30 or so years
>> of using
>> this program, I only know how to use some of its features.
>
> As it was explained already, it controls the number of light/surface
> interactions for a ray. Most of my scene files, especially
> auto-generated, start with:
>
> global_settings
> {
>    max_trace_level 3
>    adc_bailout 0.01
>    assumed_gamma 1.0
> }

Instead of reducing max_trace_level, it's often better to increase
adc_bailout.

When max_trace_level is reached, black is returned.
When the tracing stop due to adc_bailour, you get the current
evaluation, not black.
In your case, you probably won't see a speed degradation using a larger
max_trace_level. No change expected going from a value of 4 to to 50 or
more, as sdc_bailout would kick in pretty early.

The default adc_bailout is 1/256. Your 0.01, or 1/100, is better for
your situation. You may even use something like
adc_bailout 0.03
Without issue. It may make your rendering go a little bit faster.
I very often increase adc_bailout for test renders.