POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : weird effect or normal : Re: weird effect or normal Server Time
3 May 2024 09:39:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird effect or normal
From: Alain Martel
Date: 16 Mar 2024 13:00:16
Message: <65f5d020$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-03-16 à 12:06, David Kraics a écrit :
> Ilya Razmanov <ily### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On 16.03.2024 0:00, David Kraics wrote:
>>
>>> ..867-.868. Basically moving it away on the Z axis by .001, so they no longer
>>> touched.
>>>
>>> When viewed, I could no longer see through the two boxes.
>>
>> Just a guess - what happen if you increase max_trace_level ?
>>
>> Ilyich the Toad
>
> I don't know what that does or is. Honestly, even after 30 or so years of using
> this program, I only know how to use some of its features.

max_trace_level determine how many surfaces a ray can interact with
before the tracing process stop.
Currently, it ignore simple transparent surfaces where there is no
reflection and no refraction.
The default value is 5. That mean that the fifth surface encountered is
treated as black, opaque and non-reflective.
That's a global_settings parameter.

global_settings{
	max_trace_level 25
  }