POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender : Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jan 2023 02:34:26
Message: <63cb9582$1@news.povray.org>
Op 20/01/2023 om 23:56 schreef Samuel B.:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> A proximity pattern test. (...)
>>
>> This is the best example of the denoiser technique that you've posted so far,
>> IMO. I am amazed that it can discern true noise from your applied ground pattern
>> that looks *almost like* noise. The foreground detail looks nice and sharp.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see this same scene denoised but without the original
>> focal blur-- to see at what point (if any!) in the receding distance the
>> denoiser might mistake the smaller and smaller actual ground pattern detail for
>> what it 'perceives' as noise. To see if the denoiser tries to blur it there when
>> it should not(?)
>>
>> ----
>> BTW: A few days ago, I downloaded your 2013 file "ToVolume: Object-To-Volume
>> Conversion and Rendering Process". It also has an interesting and much more
>> complex 'proximity' file included. I'm sorry to admit that I haven't yet played
>> around with your amazing proximity pattern :-( I'm still going through that file
>> to try and understand its workings; much of it is beyond my brain-power, ha.
>
> Hi Kenneth,
>
> The denoiser was able to preserve the ground bump largely thanks to the normal
> pass I included. It also helps that the normal and albedo passes can take more
> camera blur samples than the final pass, since they are faster to render.
>
> Regarding what it would look like with no obvious focal blur, I'm /guessing/
> that the denoiser would smooth out everything under a certain size and color
> threshold.
>
> Re: ToVolume. I can't remember which type of proximity technique I used for
> that. And I would probably be a bit lost myself, opening up that file after all
> these years... that tends to happen with old projects ;)
>
> Sam

There are/were also your "fastProx" and "nestProx" includes for doing
proximity patterns. It has been a while since I last used them. They
tended to be /superseded/ by Edouad Poor's "df3prox-0.95" utility in my
(slight) personal choice/preference ;-)

However, they are a notable part of my large collection of POV-Ray
utilities created by the users community. Good opportunity to say a warm
Thank You.

--
Thomas