POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spherical Glass Sculpture : Re: Spherical Glass Sculpture Server Time
26 Apr 2024 10:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spherical Glass Sculpture
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Dec 2022 02:34:20
Message: <6394367c$1@news.povray.org>
Op 10/12/2022 om 01:56 schreef Robert McGregor:
> Hi all, Happy Holidays!
>
> I had two days of unexpected downtime earlier this week and made the "mistake"
> of firing up POV-Ray for the first time in almost a year! As always, one thing
> led to another and down the rabbit hole I went...
>
> I wanted to make a photorealistic CG scene that merged seamlessly (more or less)
> with an HDR environment. This is something that I've done before, but I wanted
> to try and get a more photorealistic end result than my previous images have
> achieved.

Hi Robert!
This is a most excellent work (again). I guess that you have pretty well
achieved your primary goal: merging the HDR environment with the CG
scene. Knowing what you have done and scrutinising the final render, it
is very hard to see where both blend together. An unprepared watcher
would be unaware of the blend. Very well done.

I love the shards sculpture. How would it look backlighted? or at night
with some (discrete) illumination inside?

The rock is spot on. It stresses the need to use high-resolution image
maps for this kind of work indeed.

And I acknowledge your detailed and careful explanation of the scene
building.

Welcome back btw. You should do more of this stuff. :-)
--
Thomas