POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to ... : Re: How to ... Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to ...
From: Francois LE COAT
Date: 23 Nov 2021 11:30:12
Message: <619d1714$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Bald Eagle writes:
> kurtz le pirate wrote:
>> I have a surface defined by a set of points <x,y,z> and for each point
,
>> its color.
>>
>> In your opinion, which object/method is the most appropriate to
>> represent such a surface?
>
> I'm thinking that the most straightforward thing would be to use
> smooth_triangles.
>
> Alternately, maybe you could set up a network of bezier patches, and us
e your
> color information to render a separate scene of boxes that would give y
ou an
> image to use as an image_map for uv_mapping your bezier patch union {}.

> Might be able to do something with splines and functions ....
>
> It all may depend on how many points you have.

For example, *.TRI format of 3D shapes contain <x,y,z> coordinates, and
a color affected to these. If you use TRI2POV it gives a surface like...

	<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf7q2KdAS-4>

When you use TRI2POV it converts the surface in a set of smooth_triangle
that can render the surface with ray-tracing. That exists since the very
first versions of POV-Ray, and produces a very nice result.

I hope that it is what you're thinking about. Some 3D file formats, like
*.TRI is perfect to describe that kind of colored 3D surfaces. It's easy

Regards,

--

Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
<http://eureka.atari.org/>