POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? : Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 21:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 26 Sep 2021 20:26:13
Message: <61510fa5$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-09-26 3:43 PM (-4), The Traveler wrote:
> Howdy folks, Was the ability to parse multiple rendering configurations using a
> "res.ini" file only a feature for the Windows version of povray? I've been using
> povray under Linux for so long, I don't recall.
>
> [snip]
>
> Using 3.8.0-b2 in Lubuntu Linux: povray res[Low] +Itest.pov gives me an error:
> "Failed to parse command line option".
>
> I've checked to make sure the res.ini file is in a searchable directory path.

See:
https://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C5bdf75ab%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Apparently, the library path isn't *supposed* to work for .ini files.
The fact that it works in POV-Ray 3.6 and 3.7 is an undocumented side
effect of the parser code in those versions.  I can only suppose that
res.ini is a feature of the Windows IDE, and there is not yet a standard
IDE for Unix or GNU/Linux.