POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8. : Re: Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8. Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:08:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documenting wrinkles normal pattern bias. v3.7/v3.8.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 May 2021 10:11:50
Message: <6093f926$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/5/21 7:00 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>
>>> A thought, but I'm thinking simpler at the moment. A weighted normalized
>>> vector addition to the incoming normal in the direction of the point
>>> light(1).
>
> And of course that's vastly easier to do in source, since POV-Ray functions
> return scalar values not vectors.
> https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Function_Pattern
>
> Maybe there's a clever way to do this in SDL using the color channels and
> average {} or some other method...

:-) Re: "vastly easier" - I had the thought, "not with my C++ skills..."

Not useful to most, but as mentioned elsewhere, my povr branch has
functions packing/unpacking three 21 bit / two 32 bit values into the
passed around double's 'space'. I think the 21 bit x,y,z enough for most
normals work.

This works today all in the functional space, but guess we could open up
2x/3x value paths into the map-pattern and normal pertubation spaces via
double values. With normal perturbation it more or less directly fits as
a new perturbation pattern(1), with scalar map pattern's might be
limited to specific patterns.

I'll have to let that thought cook for a bit. :-)

Bill P.