POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Accuracy and unit choice? : Re: Accuracy and unit choice? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Accuracy and unit choice?
From: Harald Joerg
Date: 12 Dec 2003 17:22:08
Message: <wk8ylhad0o.fsf@oook.m.uunet.de>
Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi> reports:

> [...] I get a few artifacts  and it looks like if
> I multiply everything by 10 or 100 it can get rid of those. The
> smallest objects in my scene have dimension of about 0.005 units.

Don't make your objects too big, though.

Consider the following scene.  It should show nine spheres, each
ten times further away and ten times the size of its predecessor.

POV-Ray 3.5 says:
    "Scene contains 9 frame level objects; 5 infinite."

Not only does POV-Ray consider objects of size 10000 and above as
infinite.  If I render the scene, I see only seven spheres...

#declare R  =  1;
#declare A  =  -20;

#macro S()
  sphere {0,R
    texture {pigment {bumps} finish {ambient 1} translate y}
    translate 5*R*z
    rotate    A*y
  }
#end

light_source {<10,10,-100> color rgb 1}
camera       {location 0  look_at z}

#while (A <= 20)
  S()
  #declare R  = R * 10;
  #declare A  = A +  5;
#end

Some months ago I tried to add the moon to a scene, with "correct"
diameter and distance, given in metres.  It took me some time to figure
out why it wasn't visible at all....
--
Cheers,
haj