POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Raysnail - WIP, a probability based raytracer with (limited) support for PovRay SDL files : Re: The Raysnail - WIP, a probability based raytracer with (limited) suppor= Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Raysnail - WIP, a probability based raytracer with (limited) suppor=
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Jul 2024 15:10:00
Message: <web.6698169e1c222f09327467e125979125@news.povray.org>
"Hj. Malthaner" <me@home> wrote:

> The BRDFs are still making my head spin. I understand the concept, but
> struggle with the actual math to come up with proper BRDFs for new
> materials of my own.

Diagrams are definitely your friend.
Drawing the diagram with POV-Ray using the math that you're trying to work out
is also an excellent exercise.

I also found this video extremely useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsZiJeaMO48

> In regard to the parser, I want to say thanks to the people who wrote
> the PovRay documentation. Each SDL element is documented with a snippet
> of a grammar, which can be converted almost one to one into a recursive
> descend parser. So the documentation is already there. I'll try to keep
> the identifiers used in the parser code close to the ones used the
> documented grammar, so the code will look familiar to those who looked
> at the grammar from the documentation before.

Maybe before you get too far into that, take a look at:
https://journal.stuffwithstuff.com/2011/03/19/pratt-parsers-expression-parsing-made-easy/