POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Suggest v4.0 read only identifiers. (yuqk R15 v0.6.9.0) : Re: Suggest v4.0 read only identifiers. (yuqk R15 v0.6.9.0) Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:38:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggest v4.0 read only identifiers. (yuqk R15 v0.6.9.0)
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Jun 2024 14:55:00
Message: <web.668057a14bc5dc751f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> agree, a in-one-place collection of things needing doing, plus "feature
> requests", is very much needed.

Well, this has been brought up by myself and other before,

I think the easiest thing to do would simply be use a collaboration tool or
project management tool and get _something_ started.

https://opensource.com/business/15/7/five-open-source-alternatives-google-docs

Then we could start with a general outline of what we _have_ complete with
hyperlinks to the wiki or whatever works best to illustrate the concept.

Then maybe separate documents that "mirror" the source code, where we could
strip out all of the extraneous non-code stuff, for enhanced readability (with
links to original).  Then people with coding experience could read and comment
on the code, and perhaps even insert hyperlinks between where one piece of code
utilizes a variable, and the (faraway) place in the code where that variable
gets updated last.

Obviously to-do list and desired features.
Coders could begin scribbling scratch code and other people could be inspired
and take it a step further.

The advantage here is that if the outline structure is maintained well, it'll be
a lot easier to find than sifting through 30 years of haphazard forum posts.

Users could then have a personal "wiki page".

FAQ type material could be organized to provide "one code example for every
keyword", micro-tutorials on coding methods / algorithms / tricks, working
examples of tricky syntax, etc.

Macros could be assembled so that people could look things up in an index and
find what they were looking for.
Desired features could be exemplified with macros, and then converted to source
code by people who have the c++ experience but don't understand the goal /
algorithm needed.

And since it should pretty much be all text, with hyperlinks to graphics,
articles, pdf documents, websites, etc, it should be fairly small to store local
copies - which means every collaborator has a copy / backup.

- BW