POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : 3.8 macro parsing errors : Re: 3.8 macro parsing errors Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.8 macro parsing errors
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Jun 2024 09:30:00
Message: <web.667974a718d864b595196c9d25979125@news.povray.org>

>     double min = +-2.22507e-308
>     double max = +-1.79769e+308

So, I just got done playing around with that 500+ lines of the hypergeometric
function, and some of the values were too large to display in the #debug stream.

I had no idea I could - make - numbers that large in SDL.
It looked like each line didn't carriage-return and overwrote the previous one.

Also, having objects with coordinates that large seemed to slow down the render
phase even though the objects (small spheres) weren't even in the view frustum.
I also sorta recall that some of my other spheres weren't even rendered, but
that's a mid-debugging anecdotal eye-witness recollection - so assign to that
whatever reliability that you will.

So I'm wondering 3 things:

1. how to make the #debug stream behave properly
     (I often get things written to the stream that seem - out of order.)
     no overwriting of existing lines when str() overflows the screen width
2. how to use str () to display numbers to display with 10eN exponential format
3. how to express things like INF in SDL and write code to utilize that value.

Also, some of my macro results came back as NAN.  Doe yuqk have a function to
assign NAN to a user-declared variable ?

- BW