POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bocce - WIP : Re: Bocce - WIP Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bocce - WIP
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Jun 2024 12:00:00
Message: <web.6672ffb22d85bd69de5e631125979125@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:

> Second note:  my version is 10X slower than Quilez version!

Yes, considering that you were assembling a big, piecewise function, that's not
surprising.

But also I.Q. is kind of known for trimming things down to the very barest
minimum and optimizing for speed, so he's always a good reference.

> So, I will be replacing my version with the Quilez version in my code library,
> and updating the library with all of the shapes from the article over time.

Good idea - I'm sure it will speed thing up immensely, and there's always
something new to learn.

> There is a little work in the porting, because POV-Ray functions don't take
> vector arguments, so you have to unroll all of the vectors as x,y,z parameters,

Tell.
Me.
About it.

Maybe you can write a macro or something to help with the unrolling to make
things more efficient.

- BW