POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bocce - WIP : Re: Bocce - WIP Server Time
4 Oct 2024 20:58:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bocce - WIP
From: Chris R
Date: 14 Jun 2024 09:40:00
Message: <web.666c471b2d85bd69a40969eb5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > > Close-up view of a scene I am working on of a bocce court.
>

> > Here's the wider view.  Still working on some details.
>

> That wood texture you made looks fantastic!
> Especially the dents, cracks, and growth rings with the rough end-grain.
>
> You do some nice work.
>
> -BE

Thanks!  I do a lot of scenes with rough wood, so I've developed quite a few
techniques.  This one was a lot of fiddling with pigment functions to put the
dents in logical places.

One of the things that really helps with this is having a version of
f_rounded_box that more accurately returns the distance of a point from the
surface of the box.  That allows me to simply add/subtract other pigment
functions with a depth I can model to the shape function in the isosurface.
It's much slower than the built-in f_rounded_box, but gives more controllable
results.

-- Chris R