POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : image mapping : Re: image mapping Server Time
9 May 2024 04:34:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image mapping
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Feb 2024 13:40:00
Message: <web.65e0ceb4d4e2d795e21e5c0b25979125@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> after two days of absence, I find your example... and what example !
> on first reading, I understood nothing, but I'm going to peel it back a
> bit more.

He's just got the uv-mapping data hardwired into the object definition.
So, if you were going to map a sphere, you'd use theta and phi to describe the
surface.
remapping theta and phi from radians to a 0-1 domain, you can grab the pixel
from the image.

So you just write a function to do that "inverse uv mapping", and apply it to an
average texture that combines the r, g, and b values from the image map.

- BW