POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Roman Dodecahedron : Re: Roman Dodecahedron Server Time
9 May 2024 13:00:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Roman Dodecahedron
From: Samuel B
Date: 1 Feb 2024 20:00:00
Message: <web.65bc3da3c835cc8916bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>
> Recently, in the latest "Digging for Britain" series on the BBC:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digging_for_Britain
>
> I discovered the Roman Dodecahedron:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron
>
> ...and I could not help it or I had to model it in POV-Ray! ;-)
>
> Edouard Poor's proximity pattern helped to complete it.
>
> --
> Thomas

Nice one, Thomas!

It seems interest in these things has picked up recently, possibly due to
another one having been found in England
(https://www.livescience.com/archaeology/romans/roman-dodecahedron-uncovered-by-amateur-archaeologists-in-the-uk).
I wonder what they were for? Decoration? One person thought maybe they were used
for weaving glove fingers, but others say such weaving techniques weren't
developed that early... It is a mystery.

Sam