POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : B-DNA : B-DNA Server Time
9 May 2024 05:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  B-DNA
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Jan 2024 16:00:00
Message: <web.65b81162aefbbd461f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
A scene I've been wanting to remake ever since I made it in grad school - alas,
that HDD is long gone.

Coordinate data from a pdb file.
Trimmed and processed in OpenOffice Calc
Atom bonding done (painfully) by hand

1400 lines of code.

The double helix is neither straight up, nor centered on the y-axis. <eyeroll>
_Thanks_ science guys...

I have a small pile of pdf's concerning how to fit a parametric equation to a
helix.

It would be nice to:
Straighten the thing up
Find the exact center / axis of the double helix
Have macros and modular pieces to assemble the sugar-phosphate backbone and
nucleotide base pairs in long chains and splines

I'm thinking about looking at TOK's "map any triangle to any other triangle"
macro to figure out the rotation, flip, and positioning of the subunits, such
that the sense and antisense strands can be aligned.

I haven't yet had the intestinal fortitude to try and blob this yet.

Now it's time for dinner, and an exciting night of sorting 300-page incoming
freight orders.

- BW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: