POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : <no subject> : Re: <no subject> Server Time
13 May 2024 13:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: <no subject>
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Jan 2024 15:00:00
Message: <web.65b802f96f92e8561f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> The tutorial has an isosurface technique that I am not enamored with,
> but you might want to try it anyway:

Yes, I've done that before, and if memory serves me correctly, it was SLOW.

> I published an alternative isosurface function RE_fn_Blob2() in
> RoundEdge.  See the user manual for how to use it:
>
>   https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-RoundEdge

Good to know - I'll have a look.  :)

> I once came up with a couple of trig-based formulas, but I haven't
> looked at them in almost 20 years.  If I find that they eliminate 1st
> derivative discontinuities, I might resurrect them.

I went a-looking for alternative metaball equations, as I came across some
websites essentially claiming that people use superquadratic ellipsoids as
blobbable objects, and that immediately caught my interest.

I may very well take a more detailed look into the subject, and I think that
maybe some simple changes to the primitives themselves might be the key.   Using
bounded SDF's, or something to that effect.

I've always wanted to blob an infinite hexagonal grid, and I've gotten pretty
close to what I've wanted.  I think I started off trying to blob tori spaced out
on a hex grid...

Thanks for the ideas - it's right along the lines of what I've been thinking
about.

- BW