POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Logo Planet (wip) : Re: Logo Planet (wip) Server Time
19 May 2024 22:57:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logo Planet (wip)
From: Samuel B
Date: 14 Jan 2024 18:55:00
Message: <web.65a47337a24051f716bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 13/01/2024 om 02:30 schreef Samuel B.:
> >
> > Is Analog even still being published? Some of those stories were great.
> >
> It seems to be:
>
> https://www.analogsf.com/

Ah cool. I'm a bit tempted to get a subscription for my mom (which would
eventually make its way here as well). I should probably check with the library
before doing that, though :D

> > The default uv mapping is going to be different for every primitive, of course,
> > and some stretching is guaranteed in any case.
> >
> Yes, I noticed that.
>
> > I'm thinking that for complex objects, triplanar mapping might be the best thing
> > to use. (Triplanar mapping in POV-Ray would probably use 3 nested slope maps,
> > with each axis getting one planar map). There /is/ a blending issue when using
> > triplanar mapping, but it can be mitigated somewhat. It's one of those things I
> > haven't gotten around to yet (I was going to use something similar to depict
> > claymation-style fingerprints on objects), but if I make any headway I'll post
> > it.
> >
> > I'm thinking crackle form x patterns as a basis, but it's going to take a bit of
> > work...
> >
> Exciting info indeed! I shall study these ideas also; I don't like to
> sit back and wait for others to do the dirty jobs :-)
>
> --
> Thomas

That's the spirit!

I managed to get one thing done today: the triplanar mapping
(https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.65a4705751388f9716bed5696e741498%40news.povray.org%3E/).
It's very basic and doesn't have a sharpness setting (rate of transition between
normals).

The craters idea will have to wait for another day.

Sam