POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cartesian distributions for cellular structures : Re: Cartesian distributions for cellular structures Server Time
9 May 2024 18:29:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cartesian distributions for cellular structures
From: Thomas Fester
Date: 11 Jan 2024 13:00:00
Message: <web.65a02c52e60e5ef591f41fb48a2a825f@news.povray.org>
> "Thomas Fester" <tfe### [at] scivitde> wrote:
>
> Good job, Thomas.
>
> You can try and see where you find some traction.
>
> There are social media netwroks that you can post your work and links.
> Gab
> Xephula
> Bastyon
> Bitchute
> Brighteon
> etc.
>
> You might also solicit idea for improvement in forums like StackOverflow,
> StackExchange, Matlab, Mathematica, as well as Blender, Grasshopper, 3DSMax,
> etc.
> You could also try making some of your scenes available as models for 3D
> printing - which means that you may want to look into OpenSCAD - which is nearly
> identical to POV-Ray's SDL.  Then you can post on Thingiverse, etc.
>
> What does your work have in common with various fields?  You cover some math,
> biology, chemistry, computer programming, data structures, fractals, art, 3D
> structures, ....  so visit sites specializing in those areas, and either just
> post your work (as art), or explain your present approach and ask questions
> about things you're struggling with, or solicit methods for improvements with
> regard to textures, efficiency of memory usage or algorithms, equations to model
> structures, growth, differentiation, etc.
>
> You may not get a lot _at first_, but right now you just want to familiarize
> yourself with what's out there, build a network, and keep adding levels of
> sophistication.
>

> As a (former) chemist, I'm interested in what topics you'll be covering.  :)
> Reaction-diffusion would be a great topic to create a robust library for, since
> it's the basis of so many natural patterns - it is however, probably going to
> present a variety of challenges from the POV-Ray SDL / raytracing perspective.
>
> Shadertoy has a very active community, but approaches things from a radically
> different direction from how end-users employ SDL to create geometry in scenes.
> On the other hand, it's compiled, FAST, you can edit your scripts while the
> compiled version in running in a browser window, and rapidly explore different
> ideas.
>
> Then you have things like javascript, Processing, and all manner of other
> computer languages that can be used to write programs that generate data sets or
> even whole POV-Ray scripts.
>
> - Bill

Thanks a lot for these many suggestions... a bit overwhelming, but I will work
on them. I really have been focusing on my own hard drive for to long...

My chemistry chapter will be more about structures. From small molecules to
proteins. Of course in most cases you have to obtain coordinate data from other
sources. The question is, whether Pov-Ray can provide added value to all the
other programs available for visualizing such structures. (I think it can...)

Reaction-diffusion is cool but I only made one try. I will show it here in the
course of this year, then we can have a look.

Thomas