POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Making Patterns with functions : Re: Making Patterns with functions Server Time
24 May 2024 05:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Patterns with functions
From: ingo
Date: 6 Jan 2024 05:00:00
Message: <web.6599237ad81b847917bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>
> Over the last 2 days, I've fallen down the mathematical pattern rabbit hole, and
> have been experimenting with all manner of what can be done with a simple
> pigment {function {}}
> statement.

Excellent!!

I always had/have hoped that at some time the function language would grow a bit
in the direction of shaders by making more/all internal data available to
functions. Colour and normals are obvious, but just think of having also data on
radiosity, photons and what else there is inside POV-Ray that can be (ab)used.
These internal data do not even have to have any relation to textures or
objects. It's up to the artist to do something with them.

Photon data based displacement mapping for re-modeling meshes ...

A texture dependent on the number of times the light ray bounced before
intersection. Or normals based on the total length of a ray.

"Geluk in' tuk" (good luck in your pocket) for 2024,

ingo