POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : user_defined camera intermittent / threshold rendering anomaly : user_defined camera intermittent / threshold rendering anomaly Server Time
19 May 2024 21:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  user_defined camera intermittent / threshold rendering anomaly
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Jan 2024 13:20:00
Message: <web.65945301e17c2e621f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
So, I managed to muster enough motivation to doggedly pursue implementing the
user_defined camera approach to modeling lens aberrations with Zernike
polynomials.

At present, I'm attempting to do that using --- derivatives of the polar
equations.  (Not at all sure I'm doing it right)

Anyway, the point is, that after fiddling a bit with the location and direction
parametric equations, POV-Ray suddenly decided to start partial-rendering my
scene with some bad 8-bit blocky censorship.
Sometimes it's fairly evenly distributed across the whole image, other times
it's only in the top half....

This leads to speculate that:
1. There's something wrong with my build (3.8 beta windows executable)
2. There's potentially something wrong with my (computer) memory  :P
3. There exists some sort of state-dependent bug in the user_defined camera code

I'm going to try to work everything out in Cartesian coordinates and see if
maybe that might behave better, plus I'll be a lot more confident about the
derivatives and the resulting normal vector I'll be using for the direction {}

If that fails, I'll try re-starting POV-Ray, and perhaps shutting down until I
get back in from this evening's exciting warehouse work adventure.

- BW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'astigmatism.png' (189 KB)