POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metallic cityscape WIP : Re: Metallic cityscape WIP Server Time
9 May 2024 07:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metallic cityscape WIP
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Jan 2024 12:35:00
Message: <web.6592f77aa467e1d41f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> A city with shiny metal buildings.  The windows still need work.  I want
> to give the roofs a different texture, but I'm wondering if I should
> keep them reflective.

That's looking pretty cool  :)

Maybe use a glossy black for the rooftops - like a melted asphalt.
Or you could use a triangular wave normal to simulate an overlapping angle-iron,
or maybe an origami Schwarz lantern type metal sheet.

You could try hexagons, cells, quilted, some sort of similar grid / tiling,
perhaps one of the pavement patterns....

I have a "bump kernel" that I coded for the wood pattern, that would be easy
enough to make infinitely repeating.

Some upward and downward pointing "black holes" would be interesting as a
ventilation / drainage system.

There are also innumerable futuristic / tech patterns that might look cool on
the rooftops.  Those nested ring segments, PCB patterns, circle-and-line
"molecule silhouettes" (that's what they look like to me) ....

- BW

Also, why not go with a parabolically curved building...?  (just for fun)
https://gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-buildings-that-melt-things-1247657178