POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood? : Re: Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood? Server Time
13 May 2024 14:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood?
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Dec 2023 03:35:00
Message: <web.65815532f36a20089b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>

> There is this bit too in the documentation which I don't currently see
> any code for:
>
> "If the parent object is a CSG of objects with different textures, then
> the textures on overlapping parts will be averaged together."
>
> but maybe somehow 'averaging' happens... The test case in this thread
> isn't set up to trigger it. Guess, I'll need to create more complex
> cases. My guess at the moment is we'll get, not 'averaging', but
> multiple individual textures (including any texture lists) from the
> parent's component parts.

It's interesting that you should mention this topic. *Many* years ago (2009), I
had a 'discussion' in the newsgroups with long-time user Warp-- actually an
argument :-( -- as to what we *should* see when using cutaway_textures re:
'averaging'. Even Clipka chimed in, in a more reasonable way. I don't recall my
exact thinking or frame of mind at the time, but I'm sure that I made some
logical errors in my side of the argument. (Warp and I had a sort of
antagonistic approach to one another at the time, but he is a very smart guy,
with a sharp mind. I haven't seen him in the newsgroups for years, sadly.)
Anyway, here it is...warts and all...

https://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/thread/%3Cweb.4a13ff1fd9818dbeab6e42900%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=310905

Maybe there is a germ of an idea somewhere in that discussion that will be of
use.

FWIW, I am currently using the cutaway_textures feature in my long-overdue
object-slicing-to-3D-printing scheme (via the 3D SLICER CT-scan app)... and I
*still* had to experiment with it to find the best approach.