POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : workbench_train_02.png : Re: workbench_train_02.png Server Time
20 May 2024 07:51:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: workbench_train_02.png
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Dec 2023 06:40:00
Message: <web.657ae8e86e5f46b91f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> It is a short way to
> specify texture aspects I guess - especially if you don't want to pick
> up any part of the 'current' default texture.
>
> Bill P.

I think that most people completely miss this, because although it _is_ stated
in the documentation, it's not stated in a way that really highlights the fact
that you're _always_ starting out with a default texture and then _modifying_
it.

I think most people operate on the (obvious in hindsight) faulty assumption that
they are _creating_ a texture with those statements.

Maybe just start the documentation section off with a bold, unambiguous
statement that when an object is created, it is assigned a default texture, and
then only when the parser hits a texture component assignment is the default
texture modified.

https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Texture

I have noticed that my quickie scenes that I use to puzzle out various things
look a lot dimmer and grayer compared to the way they used to, and I need to
change my default finish to diffuse 1.

There are definitely lots of shortcuts that I use and enjoy, but I realize that
yuqk is an arrow pointing toward 4.0, and we need to "do the work" to get there,
and may have to abandon certain conveniences to get there.    Then, once we
establish a firm foundation, certain convenbience tools might then be able to be
reimplemented, albeit in a different way.