POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cogito Redux : Re: Cogito Redux Server Time
8 May 2024 04:02:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cogito Redux
From: Chris R
Date: 12 Dec 2023 09:15:01
Message: <web.65786ad4658d6377c596b55cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>

> > 3x3 area_light is small. Do you use adaptive ?
> >
> > Use the same lights, increase the area_light to something like 17x17,
> > and use adaptive 0.
> >
> > Thar way, only 4 samples per light will be used for much of the scene.
> > Given the composition, the risk of having artifacts is pretty low.
>
> Ah, thanks.  I had pulled the light source for the bulbs from the LightSys code
> which uses adaptive 1.  Using adaptive 0 it does seem to be rendering more
> quickly.  I took your suggestion of using 17x17, made it circular and used
> orient as well.
>
> -- Chris R.
> -- Happily rendering since 2014
I fixed the area lights for the bare lightbulbs and I think the lighting is much
better now.  I also added more dirt and grime to the floor so it matches the
walls better.

There is still no radiosity.  The scene as it is took 3 days, 8 hours to
complete.  I had tried starting the render with some very rudimentary radiosity
settings, (the standard #2 from raddef.inc) and after 8 hours it was still
working on the second radiosity pass, so I gave up.  I think radiosity really
only helps the floor, and might just undo the darkening I gave it.

Cogito will keep thinking and I'll get back to him at another time.  I'm off on
a rabbit hole to clean up all of my code for creating brick walls so I can share
it here.

-- Chris R.
-- Happily rendering since 2014

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scene-v1.2-hd-mq-2023-12-12.png' (4089 KB)

Preview of image 'scene-v1.2-hd-mq-2023-12-12.png'
scene-v1.2-hd-mq-2023-12-12.png