POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : TheEarth version 1.1 : Re: TheEarth version 1.1 Server Time
18 May 2024 13:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TheEarth version 1.1
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Dec 2023 17:35:00
Message: <web.65763c2588376f8e1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> The sphere is not scaled.  To account for oblateness, I'd have to know
> whether the maps were prepared with geocentric or geodedic latitudes,
> and *then* I'd have to remember how I handled the difference 30 years
> ago when I worked on USAF satellites.  And then a function would have to
> be applied to distort the image map in the north-south orientation.
>
> My head is already starting to hurt.

Oh yeah - I remember when Mike Horvath was doing stuff with that, and I looked
into it, and said, "Nope."

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3C5b57aea2%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C5b511771%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=423543

I have gained a significant appreciation for how hairy things get once they go
ellipsoidal.  ;)

- BW