POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : TheEarth version 1.1 : Re: TheEarth version 1.1 Server Time
18 May 2024 11:08:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TheEarth version 1.1
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Dec 2023 09:15:00
Message: <web.6575c78188376f8e1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> It irritates me when I see a flat map mapped incorrectly onto a globe.

So, having looked into inversive geometry, stereographic projection, Mobius
transforms, etc. - I think I recall seeing some examples of slightly different
ways of projecting the sphere's surface onto a plane.

Not having delved into this topic to any real extent, are there different image
maps that might not result in a correctly mapped sphere?

Or is the main problem just the cylindrical vs uv-mapping in the scene?

Also just curious if the sphere got scaled to be an oblate spheroid.

- BW