POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cogito Redux : Cogito Redux Server Time
8 May 2024 06:43:03 EDT (-0400)
  Cogito Redux
From: Chris R
Date: 5 Dec 2023 08:45:01
Message: <web.656f28a963d4c3ec60052fc65cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
I have gone back to working on poor Cogito in his cell.  In this new version, I
think he has a lot more character due to adding more grime and rust to his body,
and placing the rust in more strategic places.  The dark brown streakiness on
his back and head are from accumulated grime mixed with dripping water from the
ceiling.  I have placed a ring of rust around his eyes and mouth as those would
be places where the metal had been cut and would be more susceptible to rusting.

In general, all of his body has been un-shined.

In addition, I did a fair amount of work on the walls of the cell.  The stones
are now much rougher, and I added grime of many colors in a gradient from the
floor to the ceiling.  There is some reflection as well where the walls are wet.

There are some streams of dripping water from the ceiling as well.

The floor was modified slightly, but I haven't done enough work making it as
dirty as the walls, so that's probably the next task.

This version was done without radiosity and with moderate anti-aliasing.  I
tried rendering with radiosity and a higher degree of anti-aliasing and found
that it took 8 hours to do the first radiosity pass, so I abandoned that.  I
later realized that the two light bulbs in the scene (one in the cell, one
behind the camera) were set up as 3x3 area lights, so the scene had 18+ light
sources.  I put those back to single-lights and the render took about 24 hours,
so I can probably add in radiosity again later.

-- Chris R.
-- Happily rendering since 2014

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scene-v1.2-hd-mq-2023-12-05.png' (4251 KB)

Preview of image 'scene-v1.2-hd-mq-2023-12-05.png'
scene-v1.2-hd-mq-2023-12-05.png