POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Malfatti Circles : Re: Malfatti Circles Server Time
9 May 2024 02:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Malfatti Circles
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Dec 2023 14:20:00
Message: <web.656e2589b5e5f58f1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Malfatti circles !!!
> Complicated but very interesting problem ...

Yeah - while working on the Japanese kumiko triangles, I ran across some
related/linked work from an artist:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quasimondo/

Then I just recently, and randomly, stumbled across Stephane Laurent's work, who
has apparently been doing some amazing work in POV-Ray, R, Python, JS3, and
Asymptote.
https://www.youtube.com/@stla3716/videos
https://www.r-bloggers.com/

With the way links and references get lost, and search results evaporate, I
needed to grab it while it was there and port it to POV-Ray before it
disappeared.
Porting from R was only minorly confusing in a few places, and of course, I had
a typo in my code, which was driving me nuts, and the circle centers (the part
that has been holding me back from coding it myself) are located with ....
trilinear coordinates!  I started having flashbacks.

It would be nice to figure out how to translate it all into functions so that it
could be applied to the triangular pigment patterns....

- BW