POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height field to mesh - more resolution : Re: Height field to mesh - more resolution Server Time
13 May 2024 15:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field to mesh - more resolution
From: jr
Date: 30 Nov 2023 23:55:00
Message: <web.656965f42c1eda44f11225116cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Ilya Razmanov <ily### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > for data "extrapolated" from a 64x64 image, that last image looks real good I
> > think.  wondering if the calculation could not be done in SDL ?
> For this to be done within POVRay only, I need:
> 1) POVRay opening image as some sort of array with easy access to any
> pixel data I want
> 2) Not only math but some programming (I need cycles first of all)

aiui, POV-Ray (as of 3.7) has the "tools", and your first script (the spheres
image) would, I think, be fairly straightforward to code up in SDL.  hence my
question re the details of the height_field processing.

> As long as I know, it also comes preinstalled with Linux, and, in
> general, looks to be more widely available than POVRay itself, that
> makes my tiny programs cross-platform. And, since POV files are so easy
> to write, why not to use this advantage of POVRay? ;-)

:-)  I'm sure many/most (can) use Python, but all of us have POV-Ray to use.

regards, jr.