POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth level for smooth_triangle. : Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle. Server Time
23 May 2024 11:40:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle.
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Nov 2023 17:10:00
Message: <web.65626f7d84c692a39b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Bug hacked?
> old sprites concept? I'm under no illusions, I'll do more tests, but in
> this way I don't see the bug anymore

Using a transparent texture like that is very clever! However, it actually
*removes* the offending triangles... that is, it makes them invisible (if that
matters.) I had to test it to see. You might want to examine your renders to see
if that happened.

The attached image is my height_field again; close-ups are on the right side:
A-- the artifacts
B-- with    interior_texture{pigment{rgbt 1}}.  The artifact triangles are
missing (invisible).
C-- with    interior_texture{-- same as exterior--}
but with   finish{--ambient or emission value--} to try to match it.
The triangles are visible.

The scheme of using the same interior_texture as the outer one still looks
better, to my eyes.

[code taken from your image]
object{GO
interior_texture{pigment{rgb...}...
texture{pigment{image_map{gif "transp_GIF".gif...  [or  pigment{rgbt 1} ]

Although this scheme might appear to work for your model, it has a  problem: The
interior_texture is the 'real' one, but it does not respond to the usual
'exterior' lighting in a scene because it is actually on the INSIDE  surface of
the mesh. Only ambient or emission in its finish{...} is of any use, which does
not look very good-- at least for  my own height_field.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'artifact_comparison_kw.jpg' (129 KB)

Preview of image 'artifact_comparison_kw.jpg'
artifact_comparison_kw.jpg