POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Early Holiday Render : Re: Early Holiday Render Server Time
9 May 2024 08:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early Holiday Render
From: Chris R
Date: 22 Nov 2023 09:45:00
Message: <web.655e13b3c5d369ffd3b3a785cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > I'm about done with this scene, ...
> > Enjoy, comment soon, and I'll post the final render next week.
>
> am not big on Xmas and things but "enjoy", yes.  the "jigsawed" crib is simply
> very beautiful.
>
> fwiw, the moon needs shifting a little to the left (I think), and, perhaps, to
> appear a fraction less "luminous".
>

> regards, jr.

Thanks!

The jigsaw was done by taking a png-file of a black-and-white pattern actually
used for creating a real jigsaw cutout.  I used gimp to color each "piece" a
distinct color, and then in POV-Ray I wrote a function that compares the color
of a pixel in the image-map to the color of the piece I am rendering.  If it is
close enough, the point is in the piece, if not, then it is excluded.  This
became the isosurface shape function.

One issue I ran into is that the black cutting lines were fairly thick, so I had
to decide which "piece" each one belonged to and color them in.  Since the lines
from the original were anti-aliased, I had to go back after doing a fill and
paint by hand over the anti-aliased sections to make them solid.  There are
still artifacts from this that a real wood-cut, especially if you sanded it,
wouldn't show.  I added some turbulence to the image-map pigment I was using and
that helped a little.

To get rid of the squarish edges and make them softer, I would like to figure
out how to do a gradient fill in gimp that would start with the color of the
piece, and when it gets near the black line edges start fading to black.  I
could then use the distance to change the "thickness" of the wood near the
edges.  My freehand drawing in gimp is terrible, and I don't know enough about
all of the tools to figure out how to do it in a neat and consistent manner,
though.

-- Chris R