POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth level for smooth_triangle. : Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle. Server Time
27 Jul 2024 08:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Nov 2023 07:05:00
Message: <web.655dee4084c692a31f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> Here's two relevant articles:

Hi Tor,

Thank you as always for sharing some of (what I'm sure is a very extensive)
reference library.

Luckily, I had written a fully chamfered box macro not too long ago, so I could
just piggyback off of that and get right to trying to calculate the normals and
replicate the work in that first paper.

I normalize all of my cross-product vectors before summing to get the "wrong
way" and then just use the direct cross-product result to try to get the
right/improved way - but it still doesn't look very smooth.  So I must have some
aspect of this that I didn't code right in that second macro.
(and even seeing the flaws is very lighting and camera angle dependent...)

However, aside from that, what I did find disturbing is that I have an
interior_texture defined for my smooth_triangles, and that's showing up, even
though my normals are facing the proper way.

So it seems like we're back to having some triangle mesh rendering errors in the
source, even after clipka hunted down and fixed the faux-mesh union-of-triangles
problem that I uncovered when making subdivided spheres.

See attached.

Maybe someone else can confirm.

- BW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'weightedvertexnormals.png' (68 KB)

Preview of image 'weightedvertexnormals.png'
weightedvertexnormals.png