POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth level for smooth_triangle. : Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle. Server Time
13 May 2024 15:51:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Nov 2023 14:30:00
Message: <web.655a617484c692a31f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Yes, really good idea, I understood the concept. Great concept.
> I'm just worried about the times which are already very long lol

Indeed.  This is of course a common problem in dealing with large data sets in
computer graphics.

One thing you may want to consider is sorting your triangles so that you can
quickly use something like an octree to only search very nearby triangles for
matching vertices.

Do one BIG sort, then all of your very very many searches will be a LOT faster.

> I have however noticed that short vectors, here X/10 y/10 z/10 seem to introduce
> fewer artefacts!

When developing concepts like this, it is usually helpful to use very small test
scenes that parse and render very quickly, so that you can isolate and address
any problems quickly.  Then once you have everything worked out, you can try it
on a big mesh, like you are doing now.

Take a few single triangles, and just render them with different normal vector
lengths and see what happens.

First, all of your normal lengths should normalized as a starting point.
Then you add all of the weighted face normals with a common vertex,
and finally normalize the final result.

What language are you doing this in?   SDL?  :O

- BW