POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object : Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object Server Time
19 May 2024 22:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Nov 2023 20:55:00
Message: <web.6558187d31a5d0e01f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Another idea, just to play with variations on the theme is to do something
> shader-like, and either use the object pattern

Yes, this works

> or inside to make a function

No, this doesn't - because function parser strikes (out) again.

> Something extra wicked-cool would be to find a way to use a software to "unwrap"
> the skin of your object as a uv-map surface and just print a thin layer as
> triangles that could then be folded up into a "skin" that is the outer surface
> of your object.

So I had another idea while looking at some other code - use an edge-finding
kernel to process the "pixels" in the object pattern, and then by stacking those
shells (of sufficient thickness), you could just print a completely hollow
version!   :)

Not working so good atm, but maybe if everything got converted to SDF's or a
proper gradient, then that would work better.
Maybe make a hollow isosurface out of it and take (thickened) slices of that.

- BE