POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nest with cracked egg : Re: Nest with cracked egg Server Time
9 May 2024 02:52:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nest with cracked egg
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Nov 2023 18:45:00
Message: <web.6557fa18f59f4c011f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Nest with broken egg. Lowered and rotated the camera view to add a broken egg.
> Tweaked HDRI to blend better with the background hills. I did drop the HDR to 16
> bit. Bumped up the grass billboards coverage to 60k +. Still renders at a
> reasonable clip.
> Miller

But the question is: "Is 60 thousand plants really going to be enough?"   ;)

And ... did you instantiate 60k, or 59,999...?  Now, to tell you the truth, I've
forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being that this POV-Ray, the most
awesome raytracer in the world, and can blow your CPU clean up, you've gotta ask
yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?"
"Well do ya - PUNK?"

:D

Thank you, as always for taking the time to show your process, share your code,
and walk through the production of some amazing renders.

The tentacles need more ... texture.  And maybe some layer of viscous gloss....
Especially the one IN the water - it should be _wet_.

The mud on the shore is terrible.  (sorry :( )

I also think that the edge of the broken egg shell needs - something.  It's too
white and clean to be a freshly hatched egg.

(I'm sure you know this all already, and I know it's WIP / test render)

You might also consider doing something along the lines of the mother creature
indicating an awareness and emanating a (threateningly) protective presence over
her young.
You don't have to go all Michaelangelo's Creation of Adam, but maybe a tentacle
extended out in that direction.

Also, water, mud, marsh .... bugs.  Maybe some bits of chaff on the water
surface, possibly that brown foam at the water's edge.

Looking at the landscape on the right - is it lit properly?  The other parts
have shadows, that seems to have global ambient illumination....

- BW