POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object : Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object Server Time
19 May 2024 21:57:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Nov 2023 16:40:00
Message: <web.6557d8f231a5d0e09b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> This '3D slicer' app's capabilities immediately gave me the idea of
> 'pre-slicing' a complex POV-ray model as a series of rendered slice images via
> animation (using an intersection of a thin box object), to import into the app
> to see what the results might be.

[kind of off-topic/on-topic]:

I just discovered-- after all of my years of POV-ray'ing-- that this
intersection box for rendering object slices can actually be ZERO thickness. It
will still show the object slice at that 'infinitely-thin' plane. I already knew
that a box could be made like that-- but didn't expect such an intersection to
work.

A simple example:

intersection{
sphere{0,1}
box{<-1.1,0.2,-1.1>,<1.1,0.2,1.1>} // no y-thickness
}

-----
I have two different slicing schemes at present, to see which one
produces the better-recreated model in the '3D slicer' app: the zero-thickness
scheme above, or a thickness that depends on the number of animation
frames i.e. total slices rendered (which is what I have been using so far,
mostly.) Either scheme renders just 2-D white-on-black images of course, but
there *may* be a subtle difference in the result. More tests to do!