POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object : Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object Server Time
8 May 2024 15:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Nov 2023 14:30:00
Message: <web.65566c8031a5d0e09b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Oh, and unfortunately, the '3D slicer' app outputs its .stl file in only the
> binary format; no choice of an ASCII version there  :-(  So far, anyway... but
> the developers are always adding new features to the app, from user feedback...

Since I am so new to this .stl and 3-D printer stuff, I *just* discovered that a
binary .stl file can be easily converted to a human-readable ascii TEXT file
(should you want to.) I used Audodesk's free (but no longer supported)
'Meshmixer' app for the conversion. There are probably other apps that can do
the same. Even though the file still has the .stl file type appended, it can be
opened by most(?) simple text editors, even POV-ray. I used Windows' simple
Wordpad app.

The text-file version is much larger than it's equivalent binary file, about 5X
larger. My CURA printer software can open both types.