POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object : Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object Server Time
8 May 2024 11:36:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3-D printing any type of POV-ray object
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Nov 2023 16:35:00
Message: <web.6555391231a5d0e01f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

Yes, very cool, glad you're figuring all this out well.
I've played with this slicing method at least 10 y ago.
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5201a355ba23818d45338b700%40news.povray.org%3E/

One thing I thought of is:  if you use the object pattern, then you can just
slide or scale or reproportion a box that's pigmented with the object pattern,
and you'll get a nice image without having to do any "slicing" by differencing
and actual slice.

> The image collage posted here is just a demonstration, to show that it works. I
> chose a model that I made years ago, composed of all kinds of different parts--
> including some bicubic patch objects made in an *old* program called sPatch that
> did not reproduce well as POV-ray slices; that's probably the one limitation of
> the process. Those parts show up as infinitely-thin shells.

You can probably use the "thickening" trick in Mike Williams' Isosurface
Tutorial:
Thickening
If we have a function F(x,y,z) we can turn it into two parallel surfaces by
using abs(F(x,y,z))-C where C is some
small value. The original function should be one that works with zero threshold.
The two resulting surfaces are
what you would get by rendering the original function with threshold +C and -C,
but combined into a single
image. The space between the two surfaces becomes the "inside" of the object. In
this way we can construct
things like glasses and cups that have walls of non-zero thickness.

(Of course, you'd have to render the bicubic patch as an isosurface... ;) )

> ... Cura printer software;
> it has to be scaled down to fit even my printer's max volume-- which has the
> excellent effect of reducing the size of the triangles in the .stl triangle
> mesh, greatly improving the printed quality.)

And there, my friend, you have just discovered a way to make a mesh from a bunch
of primitives.
Get your slices, make your model, export an ASCII stl file, and then convert it
to a mesh {}.

Next thing you know, you're going to be using that Creality to make something
really neat and exciting ... like analytical circle tangents or something.

https://defdist.org/
https://defcad.com/

"3D printer go BRRRRRR!!!!"

- BW