POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Nest preliminary rendering : Re: The Nest preliminary rendering Server Time
8 May 2024 06:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Nest preliminary rendering
From: Mike Miller
Date: 8 Nov 2023 11:20:00
Message: <web.654bb4781b54fc78f22cdb33dabc9342@news.povray.org>
"19100" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Low-res test rendering to study the possible use of billboard plants sprites in
> > my current scene. Very much a work in progress. I'm still modeling the creature
> > on top of the pavilion structure. I'll post my sketch to show intent here. I
> > think the plant/weeds needs more work - may need to tweak a few variations to
> > mix in with my populate routine. I am happy with the .png transparent edge on
> > the plant sprites - very clean. Rendered with radiosity on.
> > Mike
>
> That's a really good start, the billboard plants are very effective (especially
> in the distance). Interested to see this develop!

Thanks, happy with the first attempt but the rendering definitely slows down
when it gets to all the overlapping billboards. I just took Kenneth's advice and
tried making a few plant types with a zero-thickness box. It speeds the
rendering up considerably! I'll need to remake the plant in this scene to use
that tip. I was using a clipped sphere to get a more curved leaf, but I think I
can use multiple flat panels to approximate the look.
Mike.