POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rust : Re: Rust Server Time
9 May 2024 05:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rust
From: Chris R
Date: 1 Nov 2023 15:25:00
Message: <web.6542a56bafcbb1ddc2a6235cc1b6e@news.povray.org>

> You might try flattening the texture on the bars - since they're likely to be
> dusty/rusty and not shiny, and maybe go for a darker shaed of gray instead of
> silver, or almost black, as most hot-rolled things will have mill scale.

> the bars would likely be rusted more at the bottom due to shielding from the
> upper stone, and the direction of accumulation of condensation.   You're also
> likely going to have a blackening effect there as well.   The rusting pattern
> would likely be reversed on the robot - more rust on the bottom, not the top.
> Also less shiny.  And maybe turn the face ever so slightly more toward the
> camera?
>

> - BW

I started working on the rusted iron elements of the scene, (except Cogito).
This is a test rendering of just the cell that shows the cell bars, chain,
window bars, and drain bars with updated textures and rust definitions.

First, I pulled some images of rusted iron and created color palettes from them
that I am now using to create color_maps for rust, rather than the ones I
invented earlier.  I think these are better looking than the original.  I also
took your suggestion and increased the rust density at the bottoms of vertical
posts, and created less shiny version of iron with darkening from grime that
carries over to the rust as well.

The vertical bars had striations that I found in pulled iron images.  I fixed
how they are formed so they don't get reflected in the rusty areas, and I
updated the rust pattern to be more realistic as well.  The horizontal bars
really only changed by using the new rust color palette, and by applying the
grime to apply mostly to the top of the bar where it would rest.

Finally, I adjusted the length of the cord to hang the lightbulb down further so
it shows up in a 16:9 rendering.

The next improvements will come in the walls, then probably the floor, and then
I'll get back to Cogito himself.

-- Chris R

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: