POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ridged Multifractal Planet : Ridged Multifractal Planet Server Time
20 May 2024 02:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Ridged Multifractal Planet
From: Samuel B
Date: 7 Oct 2023 16:20:00
Message: <web.6521bc738c5c46f716bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>
Hi,

It's a desert planet featuring details created mainly with the ridged
multifractal function. The RMF function is always just outside my conscious
awareness, but a post somebody made on Reddit
(https://old.reddit.com/r/proceduralgeneration/comments/16y8rnz/the_wonderful_worlds_of_procedural_generation_100/)
seemed interesting, so I tried to recreate something using their methods. But
since their description wasn't specific, I only followed it loosely. I also
decided to use media instead of the aoi atmosphere trick, because when media is
used this way it: doesn't take too long to render; is easier to adjust; and
looks better overall :) The scene finished rendering in less than two minutes,
not counting the added glare.

The details look ok at this resolution, but tend to look... not ok... at higher
resolutions. You can check out the code here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.6521b8508c5c46f716bed5696e741498%40news.povray.org%3E/

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ridgedmfplanetb1m_56s.jpg' (132 KB)

Preview of image 'ridgedmfplanetb1m_56s.jpg'
ridgedmfplanetb1m_56s.jpg