POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 : Re: wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 Server Time
18 Jun 2024 16:11:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38
From: jr
Date: 6 Oct 2023 13:10:00
Message: <web.65203e86e0e6f9a1b180e2cc6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"RSM" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> does anyone have any thoughts on what else could be causing this problem?

you were compiling from an Xterm[*], so your X installation must be ok, I guess.
 can you confirm/verify the working of the various libraries 'povray' will be
linked to ?  (libpng etc, see output from 'ldd' perhaps)

[*] fwiw, I'd prefer doing "root stuff" from a console.  X isn't "secure",
particularly.

> should i try Povray 3.7 instead?

3.7 does, alas, have none of the new "exciting" features of the 3.8; no
dictionaries and no auto-sizing arrays would be the main drawback, as I see it.

> would it help if i uploaded the output from the compilation process?

generally speaking, more details == better.

(of course it may be wasted :-) I _ought_ to have picked up on the missing SDL,
as AH did)

regards, jr.