POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Multi-level Truchet tiles : Re: Multi-level Truchet tiles Server Time
20 May 2024 06:43:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-level Truchet tiles
From: Samuel B
Date: 30 Sep 2023 18:40:00
Message: <web.6518a2899c496f2116bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > Truchet tiles on Shadertoy.com to see what things other people have done.
>
> Martijn did a couple specifically on these, which I really liked:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R7h76GoIJM&pp=ygUHdHJ1Y2hldA%3D%3D
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgZcwxydUlI&pp=ygUHdHJ1Y2hldA%3D%3D

I skimmed the videos, and the guy knows his stuff. He's got lots of great ideas.

> [...]
> Have you thought of controlling the LOD using an image map or some other
> function?  That would surely give rise to some very cool effects.
> Or even just proximity to user-defined points.
> I could also see using the color in a photograph to modulate the level - which
> would be a super cool effect.

Yeah, I've thought about doing that but I will need to change the structure a
bit, since right now it just uses rand(), which doesn't depend on knowing the
position of a given tile.

> Doing this as a pattern {function {}} or an isosurface would allow you to place
> this over some 3D terrain and really go nuts!   :D

Doing this with functions (which would permit the use of isosurfaces) might
actually be easier in some ways. But of course there's the issue with render
times...

> Great work as always, Sam.  Glad you're having fun and back at inspiring us to
> play with all manner of things!
>
>  - BW

Thanks, Bald Eagle~

Sam