POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dictionaries and arrays : Re: Dictionaries and arrays Server Time
10 May 2024 16:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dictionaries and arrays
From: jr
Date: 29 Sep 2023 00:15:00
Message: <web.65164e35e2232015b180e2cc6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> Despite the fact that I've been playing with v3.7 and v3.8 for several years
> now, I just discovered the dictionary feature in POV-Ray.

</grin>

> ... But, is there any practical advantage to using a mixed array over a
> dictionary?  Or is it just a matter of personal syntactic taste?

"horses for courses"..  one neat thing with a dictionary is that POV-Ray allows
choice of syntax.  while I too like (and prefer) the a.b.c notation, using the
array notation does have an advantage because the key in a["b"] can be a
variable.  (I use 'array mixed' mostly when thinking "list").

btw the heightfield image ?  ~186 seconds per pixel.. :-)

regards, jr.