POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Heightfield terrain and water : Re: Heightfield terrain and water Server Time
20 May 2024 10:46:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfield terrain and water
From: Chris R
Date: 27 Sep 2023 08:20:00
Message: <web.65141dc1240f4a0677c596b55cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"19100" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > A while back, (July actually), I had mentioned that I was rendering a scene on a
> > big multi-processor server.  The scene was created by generating an image map
> > for the terrain, and modeling it as an isosurface treating the image as a
> > heightfield.  I then added in a sea, a raft, and some crates floating on the
> > water.
> >
> > The rendering is 1920x1080, very high anti-aliasing settings, and very detailed
> > radiosity settings.  It finished 5 days ago while I was on vacation.
> > The terrain is interesting, but I'm not real happy with it.  The water came out
> > fantastic, (IMHO).  I'm not sure I'll do anything like this again, as I'm sure I
> > nearly melted the server for 2+1/2 months to finish...
> >

> > -- Chris R.
>
> Wow that's really cool! It kind of reminds me of the Myst series somehow. The
> water is incredible and the foreground elements are nicely detailed! Your poor
> server probably needs a vacation, but I wonder if it would look even better
> scaled down from a higher resolution to clear up the noise?

Myst was what inspired me to start playing with POV-Ray long ago.

I had done some lower resolution renders along the way, but seem to have lost
them.  It turns out that just rendering the water, raft, and crates doesn't take
too long, but once you add in the jagged terrain reflecting in all of that bumpy
water, things get out of hand pretty quickly.  The noise in the "cave" does get
considerably worse at higher resolutions.

-- Chris R.