POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Heightfields of sediment layers : Re: Heightfields of sediment layers Server Time
20 May 2024 03:51:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields of sediment layers
From: Samuel B
Date: 22 Sep 2023 19:10:00
Message: <web.650e1e8ab769c3e816bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>

https://blogs.egu.eu/divisions/ts/2019/12/27/features-from-the-field-bedding-stratification/

> Then, I used Gimp to draw a rough b/w image. This image I loaded into
> GeoControl, my old heightfield generator, and exported a .tga image_map
> that I could use as height_field in POV.
>
> A tentative result is attached here. Not bad for a first,I think. :-)
>
> Note: Jaime Vives Piqueres is the author of hf2iso. I can recommend it
> if you want to play with isosurface landscapes.
>
> --
> Thomas

It looks very promising, Thomas! Any idea yet how you would go about
constructing an entire feature (e.g. cliffside in a landscape)?

The links you posted are quite inspiring. The first image in the first link is
something I've tried to do, but always seem to fail at. Later on that page, I
was amazed to see that sand ripples could be captured in such a way.

Ultimately, nothing will beat a full 3d simulation using voxels or similar, but
who's got the hardware for that? (Or the algorithms? ;P)

Btw, they mentioned Zion National Park. Did you ever get to go there? I was
there when I was six, on a road trip my dad took us on when following a
meandering path to Montana. Zion was my favorite out of all the places we
visited. The reddish cliffs were pure eye candy. I was hoping to see some desert
sandstone plateaus, but we never passed through any such areas :(

Sam